I’m not one to make New Year’s resolutions. I mean, why set yourself up to fail, right? What I lean toward, is self-preservation via rejuvenation, renovation, and simply upgrading one’s way of thinking and way of being.
Starting tomorrow, I am taking part in a weight-loss challenge via DietBet. This online weight-loss community is so innovative! The challenge follows a simple premise. Each participant contributes the same amount of money ($30 for this particular challenge) and has four weeks to lose 4% of their body weight. At the end of the four-week period, whoever has met the challenge splits the pot! I’m not one to gamble, but I’m really excited this challenge. I could definitely use the added incentive.
Last month, I mentioned that I was embarking on a journey to lose at least 50 pounds. I was 60 pounds away from being at the appropriate BMI level, but losing 50 pounds would put me in my comfort zone. I ultimately didn’t kickstart my new plan until the week before Christmas. Fast forward to today, and as of Tuesday, the 23rd, I have lost 11 pounds! I’m so thankful to see progress and the fruits of my labor.
So here’s what I’ve been doing, thus far:
- Breakfast ~ Frozen fruit and leafy green vegetable (spinach or kale) smoothie every weekday and eggs and turkey bacon on weekends
- This past week, I have added cottage cheese, for added protein and creaminess, flaxseed for Omega-3’s, and apple cider vinegar to aid digestion
- Lunch ~ Either boiled eggs and vegetables, straight vegetables with low-fat dressing, or vegetables with a protein (turkey bacon, ground chicken, or baked fish)
- Dinner ~ Vegetables and ground chicken, turkey bacon, or baked fish
- Snacks ~ A boiled egg, here and there, but no more than 3 boiled eggs per day (I love mine whole – no discarding yolks for me!). Also, I have found a “clean” oatmeal cookie recipe that consists of only oats (I use whole grain) and 1 banana. Believe it or not, it is a really tasty treat!
Sounds boring, I know, but it has worked for me. I am figuring out ways to add variety and additional flavor to what I eat. I’m learning about spices that I never used before, and I haven’t felt deprived, at all.
- 4-5x week ~ about 1 hour of cardio via YouTube dance, Zumba, and Plyometrics videos. I have several playlists of videos at my disposal, so I can tailor my workout to the specific amount of time that I have to work out. I try to work out for a little while, first thing in the morning, and then again in the evening. When I oversleep, I aim to work out longer in the evening to make up for it.
- 5x week ~ 20-25 minutes of Pilates or traditional ab exercises via YouTube fitness videos
Within the next week, I am going to purchase some hand weights (to replace the sets that I lost recently) and some ankle weights. Then, I plan to incorporate more strength training to my workouts.
How are you making better choices regarding your diet or fitness level this year? Do you have a plan for success?
Ah yes, goals! I have always failed at realizing goals that I have set for myself. I’ve been a dreamer my whole life, yet when it comes down to actually following through with a goal, I tend to fall short. I grow bored easily, similar to my five-year old. At this point in my life, I am determined to set both long-term and short-term goals, not only for this blog, but for every facet of my life. Whew! I’m feeling that demon called Overwhelm creep in, ever so slowly. I thrive under pressure, but I suppose I thrive more under the pressure of others than my own. We shall see…
I will address my personal goals in a weekend post, when there is more time to ponder and plan. For this blog, I would like to post weekly on the following topics, my passions: God, my children, baking, and music.
I will also post on my hair — now that can cover a blog all by itself! In a nutshell, I chose to go au naturale, with regard to my hair, in 2008. I haven’t looked back since then, but now that my hair has reached epic proportions (compared to what I’ve had in the past), I have gotten so lazy with it. In order to maintain a professional appearance at work, retain my personal sense of style, and hold on to an ounce of sanity, I am fully aware of the fact that I must get a true hair & body regimen going on. See, now this post is leaning toward my “weekend post” length, so I digress. Really, I just have so much that I need to do with myself and many things that I aim to accomplish in life.
Have a blessed day and I’ll be in touch!